Sunday 24 October 2010

iPod Touch or not to Touch?

So it's that time of year again and although I should be feeling excited at the thought of cosy, winter nights in snuggling with my boys, lots of yummy festive food and seeing all the sparkly christmassy decorations (now come to think of it, I am extremely excited about that!) the slight panic of what to buy and how much it'll all cost is sending me into a cold sweat!
So, the boy is another year older. And any parent knows, the older they get the more they want, and the more expensive they get!
This year I'm just not sure how to play it. I spent the last few months clearing out his room of toys he's accumulated over the years and doesn't play with or doesn't look after and have vowed not to spend hundreds of pounds on random toys that he just won't look after. It seems all he's interested in nowadays is football and playing on the computer (online, educational games I might add!). Fortunately the balance between playing on the laptop and running around playing outside is pretty good so luckily I don't have to worry about him wanting to stay in sitting in front of a computer all day. But the technology these kids have and can use nowadays is scary!

So I come to the problem in hand. He wants an iPod Touch for Christmas. He's 6. When I was 6 I'm convinced I was still receiving Princess Barbies for Christmas. I know times have changed and I'm not denying he can't use one. I'm just worried he won't look after it. My partner and I both have iPhones and we have an iPad, and he plays games on them whenever we're feeling generous :)
And he'd love the music. I'm just worried he won't look after it properly. He's a very boisterous little boy and very easily led. I have visions already of his friends asking to play with it and him sneaking it outside and losing/breaking it.
Maybe I'm over reacting, maybe I just need to set down some rules and be strict with it. Maybe I'm just in denial that times are a-changing and my little boy is growing up!
What do you think? Too young? Keeping up with the times? What do you plan on buying your children this Christmas?

Lianne. X

Twitter.com/lianne84

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you think. Please comment..